Monday, November 16, 2009

A better class of losers

I always thought that as I grew up, the people around me would grow up too. I'm learning that that is not the case. They look older and sometimes sound wiser, but deep down they seem to all be as clueless as ever. Now I'm not talking about goofing off and having a good time or acting like a kid for entertainment purposes (Lord knows I'm the queen of silly). What I am talking about are those idiots that refuse to grow up (at all)! I don't always behave the way that I should, but there is a time and a place for everything. 

I always say that I have 3 rules for dating: 1. Must have a job (I don't care if you are the guy who salts the french fries at McDonald's, as long as you have a job!), 2. Must have a car (I will not be your chauffeur), 3. Can not live with your parents (or grand parents). All of these things show me that a guy is responsible and independent. Now if your plan is to work in fast food for the rest of your life or manage the Gas-n-Sip then maybe we should talk about having some goals, but the basic idea is that you can take care of yourself. 

It's ok to have fun. It's ok to be funny all the time, you won't find me complaining. I need a guy who can keep me entertained. But, when it is time to take care of business just get it done and we can go back to having a good time. 

Also, by the time we reach adult-hood, we should be at a point where we can be honest about our feelings. I realize that most men would rather lose their leg in the tiger exhibit at the zoo or be eaten alive by rabid wolverines than tell us they are simply not interested or just the opposite, but I think we have reached a point (at least I have) where being honest really is the most painless way. The worst that will happen in most cases is that we will kick and scream a little, maybe even cry (I know how poorly men deal with this) but in the end it's so much better than the time wasted by NOT just saying how you feel. 

What I have learned is this: We have grown older, but not grown up and the men that I meet these days are not any better or mature than the ones I knew in high school. They may have better jobs, more expensive hobbies (and toys), but all they are is a better class of losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment